Dr. Beck Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon Foot & Ankle Specialist
Dr. David Beck completed his undergraduate education at Amherst College in Massachusetts, where he received a bachelor’s degree in Economics and Psychology and was a starter on the varsity lacrosse team. He earned his medical degree from the New York University School of Medicine in Manhattan, New York. Following medical school, Dr. Beck completed his orthopaedic surgery residency at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania learning from the orthopaedic surgeons from the Rothman Orthopaedic Institute. After residency, he completed a fellowship in Foot and Ankle Surgery at the Institute for Foot and Ankle Reconstruction at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore, Maryland.
Dr. Beck is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon with fellowship training in foot and ankle surgery. He has numerous peer-reviewed publications on orthopaedics topics, including ankle arthroplasty and ligamentous conditions about the foot and ankle. He has presented his work at both the American Academy of Orthopaedic Sugeons (AAOS) and American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS) and Diplomate of the American Board of Orthopaedics Surgery (ABOS).
He focuses on the prevention and treatment of orthopaedic conditions utilizing a variety nonoperative treatments including bracing, orthotics, medications, injections, and physical therapy before proceeding with surgery. When surgery is indicated, Dr. Beck believes in a personalized patient-specific approach of treatment and rehabilitation. While Dr. Beck treats general orthopaedic conditions, he has an interest in reconstructive procedures of the foot and ankle, lower extremity trauma, ankle arthroscopy, ankle replacement versus fusion, sports injuries of the foot and ankle, and minimally invasive procedures.
In his time away from work, Dr. Beck and his wife, Victoria, enjoy spending time with their young son and daughter. As a former college athlete, Dr. Beck enjoys staying active, whether it is with water sports, time at the beach, running, or cycling.
Conway Medical Center, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Foot and Ankle Specialist, General Orthopaedics
Rothman Orthopaedic Institute, Associate Orthopaedic Surgeon
Foot and Ankle Specialist
Main Line Health System, Relief Professional
General Orthopaedic Surgery moonlighter at Riddle Hospital
Mercy Medical Center, Fellow
Foot and Ankle, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Resident Physician
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
New York University School of Medicine, Doctor of Medicine
USMLE I- 238; USMLE II CK- 260; USMLE II CS- Pass;
USMLE III- Pass.
New York, NY
Boston University Medical Center, Research Technician
Department of Nephrology
Bryn Mawr College, Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program
Bryn Mawr, PA
Amherst College, Bachelor of Arts
Major in Economics and Psychology
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Medical Student Education Award
Awarded by vote of medical students who rotated on the orthopaedic
surgery service to the resident who made the greatest contribution to
Eastern Orthopaedic Association Resident Travel Grant Award
Grant given to a resident/fellow with one of the top abstracts accepted
for presentation at EOA’s Annual Meeting.
Agility Total Ankle Arthroplasty: Midterm Follow-Up Outcome Study
New Orleans, LA
AOFAS Resident Scholar Program
Awarded on competitive basis to residents (PGY1-3) interested in
Exploring foot and ankle specialty.
NESCAC All-Academic Award
Amherst College Men’s Varsity Lacrosse
Awarded to Varsity athletes in good standing with GPA of >3.4
Jefferson Orthopaedic Research Day Coordinator
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Selected to organize annual departmental research meeting with guest speaker
Kevin Bozic, MD MBA.
Editor in Chief Jefferson Orthopaedic Journal
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Selected as editor of annual institutional research journal with responsibility
of compiling all departmental research.
Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon (Diplomate of the American Board of Orthopaedics Surgery)
American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS)
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
Orthopaedic Political Action Committee
- Beck D.M, Padegimas, E.M., Pedowitz, D.I., Raikin, S.M. 2017. Total Ankle Arthroplasty: Comparing Perioperative Outcomes When Performed at an Orthopaedic Specialty Hospital Versus an Academic Teaching Hospital. Foot Ankle Spec Aug 2017. PMID: 28800719.
- Raikin, S.M., Sandrowski, K., Kane, J.M., Beck D.M, Winters, B.S., 2017. Midterm Outcome of the Agility Total Ankle Arthroplasty. Foot Ankle Int 38, 662–670. June 2017. PMID: 28462686.
- Kreitz TM, Huang R, Beck D.M, Park A, Hilibrand AS. Prolonged Weakness Affects Recovery of Motor Function Following Anterior Cervical Discetomy and Fusion. JAAOS 26(2) 67-73. Jan 2018. PMID: 29239868.
- Padegimas EM, Beck D.M, Pedowitz DI. Bilateral Posterior Tibial Tendon and Flexor Digitorum Longus Dislocations: A Case Report. Foot & Ankle Specialists. 2016 Sep 7. PMID: 27604511.
- Beck D.M, Kane J, Pedowitz D. (2015). Epidemiology of 5th Metatarsal Fractures and a Role for Osteoporosis Intervention. Lower Extremity Review. Sept 2015.
- Beck D.M, Park B, Wolfson, TS, Youm T. (2013). Arthroscopic treatment of labral tears and concurrent avascular necrosis of the femoral head in young adults. Arthros Tech 2(3): e367-71. PMID: 24400184.
- Beck LH Jr, Fervenza FC, Beck D.M, Bonegio RG, Malik FA, Erickson SB, Cosio FG, Cattran DC, Salant DJ. (2011) Rituximab-induced depletion of anti-PLA2R autoantibodies predicts response to membranous nephropathy. J Am Soc Nephrol 22(8): 1543-50. PMID: 21784898.
- Hofstra, JM, Beck LH Jr, Beck D.M, Wetzels JF, Salant DJ. (2011) Anti-phospholipase A2 receptor antibodies correlate with clinical status in idiopathic membranous nephropathy. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. Jun;6(6):1286-91 PMID: 21474589.
- Beck, LH Jr, Benegio RH, Lambeau G, Beck D.M, Powell DW, Cummins TD, Klein JB, Salant DJ. (2009) M-type phospholipase A2 receptor as target antigen in idiopathic membranous nephropathy. N Engl J Med 361(1): 11-21. PMID:19571279.
- Pedowitz D, Beck D. Presentation, diagnosis & nonsurgical treatment options of the ATT, PTT, Peroneals & Achilles. Foot Ankle Clin 22(4): 677-687. Dec 2017 PMID 29078822
- Beck DM, Purtill JJ. “Hetortopic Ossification” Complications of Total Hip Arthroplasty. Orthopaedic Knowledge Update: Hip and Knee Reconstruction 5. Mont M, Tanzer M (eds). AAOS 2017.
- Beck DM, Zmistowski B, Raikin S. A Supine Achilles Tendon Repair Decreases Total Operating Room and Anesthesia Times without Sacrificing Outcomes. AAOS Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA. March 2017.
- Beck DM, Sandrowski K, Kane J, Winters B, Raikin S. The Agility Total Ankle Arthroplasty: A Mid-Term Follow-Up Outcome Study. Eastern Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA. October 2016. (Resident Travel Grant Award)
- Park A, Beck DM, Raikin S. Recurrent Hallux Valgus: 15 Year Single Surgeon Series. Eastern Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA. October 2016. (Resident Travel Grant Award)
- Beck DM, Lynch M, Pedowitz D, Daniel J, Winters B, Ahmad J, Madden A, Raikin, S. Evaluation of Brake Response Time Following Primary Achilles Tendon Repair Surgery. AOFAS Annual Meeting, Toronto, ON. July 2016.
- Beck DM, Huang R, Park A, Hilibrand A. (2015) Prolonged Weakness Affects Recovery of Motor Function Following Anterior Cervical Diskectomy and Fusion. Eastern Orthopaedic Assocation Annual Meeting, Maui, HI. July 2015.
- Huang R, Beck DM, Park A, Barrazueta G, Hilibrand A. (2015) Prolonged Weakness Affects Recovery of Motor Function Following Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion. AAOS Annual Meeting. Las Vegas, NV. March 2015. Paper 729.
- Beck D, Zmistowski B, Raikin S. A Supine Achilles Tendon Repair Decreases Total Operating Room and Anesthesia Times without Sacrificing Outcomes. AOFAS Annual Meeting, Seattle, Washington. July 2017.
- Beck, D., Padegimas, E.M., Pedowitz, D.I., Raikin, S.M., 2017. Total Ankle Arthroplasty: Comparing Perioperative Outcomes When Performed at an Orthopaedic Specialty Hospital Versus an Academic Teaching Hospital. AOFAS Annual Meeting, Seattle, Washington. July 2017.
- Beck, D, Bryant, T, Pedowitz D, Raikin S. High Union and Low Removal Rates with Plate Fixation of Metatarsal Fractures. AOFAS Annual Meeting, Seattle, Washington. July 2017.
- Beck D, Park A, Raikin S. Recurrent Hallux Valgus, 15 Year Single Surgeon Series. AOFAS Annual Meeting, Seattle, Washington. July 2017.
- Beck DM, Raikin S, Sandrowski K, Kane J, Winters B. The Agility Total Ankle Arthroplasty: A Mid-Term Follow-Up Outcome Study. AOFAS Annual Meeting, Toronto, ON. July 2016.
- Beck LH, Berg AL, Beck DM, Bonegio RGB, and Salant DJ. Treatment of idiopathic membranous nephropathy with ACTH is associated with a decline in anti-PLA2R antibody. American Society of Nephrology Renal Week, San Diego, CA 2009.